Come and visit Oxford on an exciting weekend.
- In the morning of Saturday 5 July, take in one of the Alice's Day events. Take your children to the Story Museum to hear some of the characters from Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass tell their own stories.
- In the afternoon, come join our by-election campaign in Cowley ward. You can learn some of the skills needed in the 2015 General Election campaign in a hard-fought contest.
- On Sunday 6 July, there is the Cowley Road Carnival, with floats, samba dancers, music and stalls. Not as big as Notting Hill, Handsworth or Fortaleza, but still an exciting time. (See the video below.)
|Cowley action day programme|
|1300||Briefing and pre-canvass workshop|
|1330||Allocate canvassing teams and collect materials|
|1350||Staggered canvassing and leafleting|
|1630||Meet back at the Original Swant for feedback, drinks and chat.|
Cowley ward is in the parliamentary constituency of Oxford East: a nationally recognised Advanced Constituency, meaning special support from the national party for growth of membership and representation. The long term aim is to make a major challenge for the parliamentary seat of Oxford East in the general election scheduled for 2020.
The Cowley by-election provides all of us with the opportunity to prepare for the General Election campaign, in two ways:
- It is a great training opportunity to learn from experienced election campaigners in a hard-fought contest.
- In Oxford, starting now we can find where our Green supporters live, and get them to vote for us now, next year in the General Election, and win us the seat in 2016.
We need to find where probable Green voters live, so we can remind them to vote on 17 July. Too often our supporters (even some of our members) forget to vote, so other candidates get in. We do this by knocking on doors, and politely asking how the residents might vote. This is called canvassing.
We will provide training for new canvassers, and send you out with experienced canvassers who can show you how to do it. Our candidate, Hazel Dawe, and her agent, Steve Dawe will brief you on local issues. Most people we have spoken to in Cowley ward are happy to talk to us for a short time. Many are upset by how the Labour-controlled Oxford City Council has ignored the area.
We also have leaflets to put through letterboxes in the ward, so that people who aren't in know why they should vote Green.
Please RSVP to confirm you are coming so we have some idea of numbers for catering.
If you want to stay overnight to attend the carnival on Sunday, we have some space for visitors in the houses of our local Green Party members. First come, first served. Add a comment to your RSVP.
To reach the Original Swan, take any bus going down the Cowley Road or to Cowley centre (Templars Square), such as the 1, 5, 10, 12, 16, T1, T2, T3 or U5. The 1 and 5 start from the train station, the 16 from St. Aldates near the story museum. There is a car park at Templars Square, on Crowell Road.
Oxford OX4 2LF
Google map and directions