We are using the Hopin conferencing system, the one used for the 2021 Green Party Spring Conference. 800 Green Party members and supporters came on 21 March 2020.
Everyone who has RSVPed for this event will receive an email with a link to register for this South East Green Party summer gathering. As soon as you get it, click on the link to register on Hopin for the event. You should then edit your profile to tell other members about yourself.
You won't be able to join the gathering until 10 a.m. on Saturday 1 August. In the meantime, you can test your computer to make sure you will be able to watch and listen on the day.
Hopin uses Google Meet to run its video conferencing. This is how you can test if your web browser will let you speak and listen and show video to others.
- Go to meet.google.com and click on New meeting
- Then select Start an instant meeting.
- If you are asked to give permissions to use your microphone and camera say yes.
- You should then see the meeting setup screen.
- Click on the 3 dots at the bottom right and then click on Settings, to find out which microphone and camera are being used.
- If you have more than one option, you can click on the down arrows to select the best one.
- You can click on Test next to the speakers to hear the sound of a phone ringing.
- Once you have checked your setup, click on Join now to join your meeting. You should see something like this (but with your picture, not mine).
- Try turning your camera on and off and turning your microphone on and off.
- (If you will be presenting at a session, also test that by clicking on present now. You will be asked to pick the whole screen, a running application or a browser window. Try them all. Note that in Hopin, the screen share presentation icon looks like a screen with a red line across it.)
- Click on the red telephone handset to end the session.
If all that works, you should be OK in Hopin. If not, here are some hints to get it working better.
- Make sure you have given your computer and browser permissions to access the microphone and camera. Their security settings may prevent you sharing.
- Try a different web browser. Google Meet works best in Google Chrome. You may want to download and install it. It also mostly works in browsers built on the same Google Chromium software, such as recent versions of Firefox and Safari. It never works in Internet Explorer and sometimes works in recent versions of Microsoft Edge.
- If the video disappears, it may be hidden behind another application programme on your computer. Minimise the others to see if the video was hidden behind them.
During the gathering, from 10 a.m., there will be a technical support session you can join to get help. Click on sessions and then technical support to enter. Even if you cannot speak, you can type into the session chat and get help.
If any of this is not clear, enter your question below.
If you get stuck during the event, call me on 01865 429750.