We ran a digital engagement pilot in the Spring 2019 Green Party conference from 7 to 10 June. The technology worked but the publicity was so bad that only a handful of people took part.
So we are running a second pilot at the Autumn 2019 conference. Sunday 6 October will be the digital engagement day.
The aim is to explore ways people who cannot get to our conference could participate in the future. This was one of the things members voted for in the Holistic Review report.
On that day there will be sessions when members can go online, view a live stream of part of the conference and either send questions for a speaker to answer or vote on a motion. As this is only a trial to test the technologies the online votes will not count. We will evaluate the experiences of people inside and outside the conference to find out how to make this a permanent future of conference from 2020. Will they be able to follow the conference from outside? And will their debates be better or worse than the ones inside?
We will be using audience engagement software, as used in school classrooms and conferences to quickly get audience reactions. Using it, members at home or in local party meetings will be able to type in questions for speakers to answer in panels and vote in workshops.
We need volunteers to help the test sessions. You can volunteer from home or from inside the conference.
- Before the conference you can:
- create polls based on the questions in the final agenda (needs editing skills)
- organise a conference watching meeting, when a group of people get together in a member's house or a local meeting room to watch conference on a large enough screen.
- During the conference:
- At home, you can facilitate online question and answer sessions and schedule polls on motions and amendments.
- Inside the conference, you can set up laptops in the trial conference sessions. Then, working with the session chair, you can set up Q&A sessions and edit polling sessions. The Green Party is offering free conference registration on Sunday for volunteers.
I will be arranging online training sessions before the conference. Please sign up below to help inside or outside the conference.